Contaminated Site Remediation
Through our environmental services team, WestRex are able to provide contaminated site remediation services in the following areas:
CONTAMINATED SOIL EXCAVATION AND DISPOSAL SERVICES
Historically, excavation and off-site disposal of contaminated soil has been the least sustainable remedial option. However, it remains the most commonly used method in Australia, due to its simplicity and cost-effectiveness when compared to other soil treatment and remediation methods.
WestRex specialise in contaminated soil removal and disposal services, with our contaminated site remediation team managing the following key components of the project.
- Technical data review and landfill acceptance
- Soil Disposal Permits and QLD Waste Levy Exemption Applications (where applicable)
- Health, safety, environment and quality documentation
- Excavation plans
- Site establishment and staff amenities
- Erosion, sediment and odour controls
- Contaminated soil excavation, on-site stockpile management and vehicle loading
- Regulated waste licensed transport
- Weighbridge summaries and waste tracking documentation
Where contaminant levels exceed landfill disposal acceptance criteria, treatment of the contaminated soil will be required, which can be undertaken either in situ or ex situ, and either on-site or off-site.
CONTAMINATED SOIL REMEDIATION AND TREATMENT SERVICES (in situ / ex situ)
WestRex provide innovative in-situ and ex-situ soil remediation and treatment services, which are optimised to meet the unique nature of every project we assess and to deliver successful outcomes that satisfy our customer’s objectives.
We undertake in-house soil treatment trials, utilising various treatment reagents, to assess for the most effective and efficient reduction in contaminant concentrations to meet the target criteria. Following successful bench-scale treatments trials, the same methodology can be upscaled into pilot-scale treatment trials undertaken at the contaminated site. Once the treatment method has been proven, the project generally consists of conceptual design and planning, project execution, testing, validation and project completion.
Our contaminated soil remediation and treatment services cover a broad range of organic and inorganic contaminants and include the following remedial methods:
- In-situ chemical oxidisation
- Immobilisation and stabilisation
- Soil Washing
- Sludge de-watering and solidification
All soil remediation and treatment services are conducted in accordance with legislative requirements and our WestRex Health, Safety, Environment and Quality management systems.
CONTAMINATED WATER TREATMENT AND GROUNDWATER REMEDIATION SERVICES
WestRex offers a range of engineered water remediation and treatment solutions, incorporating both in-situ and ex-situ treatment technologies. We can design, construct, operate and maintain small-to-large scale water treatment systems, that target and remove identified contaminants of concern from groundwater and wastewater, allowing the treated water to be discharged in accordance with legislative and site-specific requirements.
Examples of our in-situ and ex-situ water treatment techniques include:
- Air stripping / sparging
- Bioventing and bioaugmentation
- Carbon absorption, ion exchange and chemical precipitation
- In situ chemical oxidation and chemical injection
- Multi-phase vacuum extraction
- Permeable reactive barriers
- Pump and treat
- Reverse osmosis
UNDERGOUND PETROLEUM STORAGE SYSTEM DECOMMISSIONING
Underground tanks that have been used for the storage of petroleum products or other flammable or combustible liquids must be decommissioned in an appropriate manner when they are no longer required or suitable for such use.
Underground Petroleum Storage System (UPSS) decommissioning services undertaken by WestRex, are in accordance with Australian Standard AS 4976-2008 – The Removal and Disposal of Underground Petroleum Storage Tanks.
Our decommissioning services include:
- Removal and disposal of residual liquids
- Purging and disconnection of fuel lines
- Tank flushing and certified degassing
- In situ decommissioning
- Removal, transport and disposal
- Tank destruction certificates
- Removal of contaminated soils
- Backfilling and compaction
- Surface reinstatement
ASBESTOS REMOVAL AND DISPOSAL SERVICES
WestRex is licensed to undertake non-friable (Class B) asbestos removal work, including the removal and disposal of asbestos contaminated soils. Our asbestos removal services include:
- WHS notification requirements
- Asbestos Removal Control Plans
- Personnel and plant decontamination equipment
- Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) removal
- Asbestos contaminated soil removal
- Licensed transport & disposal
- Asbestos encapsulation cells
All licensed asbestos works are undertaken in adherence with WHS regulations and Asbestos Removal Codes of Practice to ensure safe removal and without releasing airborne asbestos fibres into the environment.
All workers involved in asbestos removal works are trained and have attained the relevant certifications for non-friable asbestos removal work.
REGULATED WASTE TRANSPORT & DISPOSAL
WestRex offers our clients a complete waste management solution, by providing licensed transport and disposal services for the removal of your regulated waste.
With our own waste facilities located in Wacol, Jackson and Injune, and access to a range of affiliate waste processing & disposal facilities throughout QLD, WestRex has your waste removal needs covered, including:
- Contaminated soil transport & disposal
- Contaminated sludge transport & disposal
- Liquid waste transport & disposal
- Construction and demolition waste transport & disposal
- Other regulated and hazardous waste transport & disposal services
All waste transport and disposal services are undertaken in compliance with current legislation, regulatory requirements and specific licence conditions.
SITE REINSTATEMENT SERVICES
Westrex provides a range of site reinstatement services that can be implemented following contaminated site remediation works.
- Importation of clean backfill materials
- Backfilling, compaction & testing to required specifications
- Surface dust suppression solutions
- Hydro-mulching and landscaping services
- Concrete and asphalt re-surfacing
Contact WestRex for Expert Advice
Contact us for a chat, or to make an appointment with one of our friendly professional staff to visit your site or office.
Together, we will find the right solution for your site’s environmental contamination and waste management needs.