Contaminated Site Remediation
WestRex Contaminated Site Remediation
In 2019, WestRex announced the addition of contaminated site remediation contracting and associated services to our existing integrated hazardous waste processing and resource recovery business. Our contaminated site remediation team is led by Stewart Frater, a highly experienced Senior Remediation Project Manager and Environmental Scientist, who has been involved in the contaminated site assessment and remediation industry for over 20 years.
Our friendly team of professionals includes environmental scientists, engineers, chemists, technicians and industry professionals, who pride themselves on providing exceptional customer service.
WestRex now offer specialist site remediation contracting services in the following areas:
- Contaminated soil excavation and disposal services
- Contaminated soil remediation and treatment services (in situ / ex situ)
- Contaminated water treatment and groundwater remediation services
- Underground Petroleum Storage System (UPSS) decommissioning services
- Asbestos removal and disposal services
- Waste management and disposal services
- Site reinstatement services
With our added site remediation contractor capability and our own in-house solid and liquid waste processing and resource recovery facilities, WestRex are perfectly positioned to provide a one-stop-shop for your contaminated site remediation requirements.
CONTAMINATED SOIL EXCAVATION AND DISPOSAL SERVICES
Historically, excavation and off-site disposal of contaminated soil has been the least sustainable remedial option, however is the most commonly used method in Australia, due to its simplicity and cost-effectiveness when compared to other soil remediation methods. Even with the introduction of the QLD Waste Levy on the 1st July 2019, contaminated soil excavation and off-site disposal remains a quick and cost-effective solution, particularly where soil volumes are relatively small, contaminant levels are within acceptance criteria, or the soil is required to be removed from site quickly.
WestRex specialises in contaminated soil removal and disposal services, with our contaminated site remediation team managing the following key components of the project.
- Excavation planning based on the Remediation Action Plan (RAP)
- Technical data review and landfill acceptance
- Soil Disposal Permits and QLD Waste Levy Exemption Applications (where applicable)
- Quality, health, safety and environment documentation
- Site establishment and staff amenities
- Erosion, sediment and odour controls
- Contaminated soil excavation, on-site stockpile management and vehicle loading
- Regulated waste licensed transport
- Weighbridge summaries and waste tracking documentation
Where contaminant levels exceed landfill disposal acceptance criteria, treatment of the contaminated soil will be required, which can be undertaken either in situ or ex situ, and either on-site or off-site.
CONTAMINATED SOIL REMEDIATION AND TREATMENT SERVICES
(in situ / ex situ)
WestRex specialises in providing innovative and environmentally friendly in-situ and ex-situ soil remediation and treatment services, tailored to meet specific customer and site environmental objectives.
Our team of scientists, chemists, engineers, project managers and site supervisors will manage all aspects of your environmental contamination problem, from bench, lab and pilot scale treatment trials, to conceptual design and planning, project execution, validation and project completion.
Our contaminated soil remediation and treatment services cover a broad range of organic and inorganic contaminants and include the following remedial methods:
- Acid sulphate soil treatment
- Bioremediation and phytoremediation
- Encapsulation and engineered on-site containment cells
- In-situ chemical oxidisation
- Immobilisation and stabilisation
- Soil Washing
- Sludge de-watering and solidification
All remediation and treatment services are conducted to the highest standards and are in accordance with legislative guidelines and our WestRex Quality, Health, Safety and Environment (QHSE) management systems.
CONTAMINATED WATER TREATMENT AND GROUNDWATER REMEDIATION SERVICES
WestRex offers a range of engineered water remediation and treatment solutions, incorporating both in-situ and ex-situ treatment technologies.
Our multi-disciplinary team can design, construct, operate and maintain small-to-large scale water treatment systems, that target and remove identified contaminants of concern from groundwater and waste water, allowing the treated water to be discharged in accordance with legislative and site-specific requirements.
Our treatment systems can be modular or containerised, allowing for relatively quick and efficient set-up on site and can easily be integrated into existing site water management systems.
Our water treatments services include:
- Treatment trials and scaled testing
- Treatment system design and process flow
- Construction, commissioning and operation of water treatment systems
- Contaminated groundwater, surface water and process water treatment
- PFAS, hydrocarbon, heavy metal and other types of contaminant treatments
- Management of turbidity, pH balance and salinity levels.
With our in-house chemists and laboratory facilities, we undertake treatment trials and scaled tests to select the most suitable treatment technology and to optimise the effectiveness of the treatment method for meeting the required discharge criteria. Depending on the number and types of contaminants requiring treatment, our systems are often comprised of a combination of treatment technologies.
Examples of our in-situ and ex-situ water treatment techniques include:
- Air stripping / sparging
- Bioventing and bioaugmentation
- Carbon absorption, ion exchange and chemical precipitation
- In situ chemical oxidation and chemical injection
- Multi-phase vacuum extraction
- Permeable reactive barriers
- Pump and treat
- Reverse osmosis
UNDERGOUND PETROLEUM STORAGE SYSTEM DECOMMISSIONING
Underground tanks that have been used for the storage of petroleum products or other flammable or combustible liquids must be decommissioned in an appropriate manner when they are no longer required or suitable for such use.
Strict procedures are necessary to avoid the potential safety and environmental hazard associated with the disposal of used tanks and tank material, and with the future use of the site.
WestRex provides Underground Petroleum Storage System (UPSS) decommissioning services in accordance with Australian Standard AS 4976-2008, The Removal and Disposal of Underground Petroleum Storage Tanks.
This may include abandonment of the underground tank in situ, where removal of the tank is considered not feasible, however the preferred option is always to remove, transport and dispose of tanks that have previously contained flammable or combustible liquids.
Our decommissioning services include:
- Removal and disposal of residual liquids
- Purging and disconnection of fuel lines
- Tank flushing and certified degassing
- Abandonment of the tank in situ by filling with inert material (if removal is not feasible)
- Removal, transport and disposal of the tank (preferred option)
- Removal of contaminated soils
- Backfilling and compaction of the tank void
- Surface reinstatement
- Provision of tank destruction certificates
Following provision of the tank destruction certificates, notification to WHSQ is required as soon as practicable after the tank is abandoned. The notification is the responsibility of the person or organisation that has overall management responsibility for the site.
ASBESTOS REMOVAL AND DISPOSAL SERVICES
WestRex is licensed to undertake non-friable (Class B) asbestos removal work, including the removal and disposal of asbestos contaminated soils. All licensed asbestos works are undertaken in adherence with WHS regulations and Asbestos Removal Codes of Practice, to ensure safe removal and without releasing airborne asbestos fibres into the environment.
All workers involved in asbestos removal works are trained and have attained the relevant certifications for non-friable asbestos removal work.
Our asbestos removal services include:
- WHS notification requirements
- Asbestos Removal Control Plans
- Personnel and plant decontamination equipment
- Commercial and private property asbestos removal, transport and disposal
- Asbestos contaminated soil removal, transport and disposal
- Asbestos encapsulation cells
- Air monitoring services
- Licensed Asbestos Assessor services
- Clearance inspections and certificates
Where friable asbestos (Class A) removal is required, this service can also be provided in conjunction with one of our appropriately licensed industry partners.
WASTE MANAGEMENT AND DISPOSAL SERVICES
WestRex provides our clients with a complete waste management service, specialising in identification, testing, removal, recycling &/or reuse and disposal of liquid, solid & hazardous wastes.
With access to a range of waste processing & disposal facilities, including our own facilities in Wacol, Jackson and Injune, WestRex has your waste needs covered, including:
- Contaminated soil excavation, transport and disposal.
- Contaminated sludge de-watering and disposal
- Hydrocarbon liquid waste collection and disposal, including oily water and flammable materials
- PFAS liquid waste acceptance at our Jackson facility
- Other regulated and hazardous waste transport and disposal services
- Construction and demolition waste transport and disposal.
All waste management is undertaken in full compliance with current legislation, regulatory requirements and specific waste facility licence conditions.
SITE REINSTATEMENT SERVICES
Westrex provides a range of site reinstatement services that can be implemented following contaminated site remediation works.
- Importation of various clean backfill materials
- Backfilling, compaction and testing to meet required specifications
- Surface dust suppression solutions
- Hydro-mulching and landscaping services
- Concrete and asphalt re-surfacing
Contact Westrex for Expert Advice
Contact us for a chat, or make an appointment for one of our friendly professional staff to visit your site or office.
Together, we will find the right solution for your site’s environmental contamination and waste management needs.